Saturday, July 9, 2011

Ch. 3 ~ Hit the lights, quick!

I can't hear you, you sound like static,
I can't hear you, my ears have had it bad..
You sound like a..

Radio with the speakers blown
The treble high and the base down low..
Down low..

My iPod seemed like my only friend, as I stepped out of my truck. With the volume up almost all the way, I tried hard to refrain from dancing. Some people around me, looked up as I walked by, since it was early they could hear the music as well.
"Hey, nice music choice!" A voice shouted, and startled me. I turned around to face a boy who had long, obviously dyed black hair covering his eyes. He had a large smile, and wore mostly black clothing.
"Um, thanks." I said, with a sheepish smile. The boy laughed, and began to play the air guitar.
"Radio with the speakers blown, the kind of sound that you'll never know!" He sang, and I couldn't help but let out a laugh.
When he finished, he looked up at me. "My name is Arthur, but I go by 'Artie.' Are you knew?"
I nodded, and sighed. "Nice to meet you. Yeah, I am. My name is Belle, by the way."
"Ugh, looks like you got it rough, eh?" Artie said, with a shudder.
"What? No, my family is actually doing pretty good." I said, confused. Artie started laughing his head off, and people stared.
"No, no," He said, taking a deep breath, "I mean, you got it rough. New kid? I-I'm not concerned about your money!" Artie went back into a fit of laughter, and I sighed.
"Well, nice to meet you kid, but I need to go find my classes." I turned on my heel, and quickened my pace.
"Alright, see ya Belle Amelia Waters!" I froze in my tracks, as Artie recited my full name. I never told him that! Or.. did I? My head was spinning, and I decided I was losing it.
When I approached the office, I heard a whistle. I jumped, and turned around. Nobody was there. Damn, I really am losing it. I thought, and hurried into the office.
"Hello there, sweetie! May I help you?" One of the secretaries questioned, with a grin.
"Uh, yes, I'm a new student! My name is Belle Waters." I said, forcing a fake smile. I wasn't in the mood for this.
"Is your name Isabelle?"
"No, just Belle." I said, twirling a strand of my bangs.
"Well, we have an Isabelle Waters registered. Not a Belle."
"I think there's a mistake then, because I am not Isabelle. My birth certificate clearly states, Belle." I said, trying not to raise my voice. She'd think I would know my own name!
"Hmm, well, alright. Here's your schedule, Isabelle. Have a nice day!" She said, and printed off a warm sheet of paper, which had all my classes.
"Thank you," I paused, and read her name tag. It read, Kate. "Thank you, Katelyn." I said, and turned to leave.
"Oh, no dear. My name is Kate!" She said with a little laugh.
"Alright, Katelyn!" I said, and walked out of there as fast as I could. "Damn secretaries." I muttered under my breath, and looked at my schedule. Homeroom was Mrs. Dumas' room, which was room 328.
Surprisingly, the halls were easy and I reached my homeroom in no time. I walked up to the teacher, and quietly told her about my situation.
"Ah, yes, Isabelle! Welcome!" She said, and pointed me to my seat.
"Uh, Mrs. Dumas? I don't mean to sound rude, but my name is Belle. There was a mistake or something, because Belle isn't short for anything." I said, my cheeks beginning to burn. The classroom was half empty, but I still didn't like to stand up and correct the teacher.
Mrs. Dumas narrowed her eyes, and picked up a clipboard. She shook her head, and crossed something off. "Alright, Belle, I fixed the attendance sheet. Thank you for telling me." Mrs. Dumas didn't look very ecstatic because I corrected her, so I sat down and shut up. While I waited for the class to slowly fill up, I fiddled with my bag. Someone else entered, and I heard them sit down next to me. I didn't bother looking up--it'd probably be either a nerd who was looking at me like I was the loser, or a popular kid stopping to look at me for a second, then turn and chat with their friends. But, when the other seat that was on my right, creaked, I had to look up.
"Hey there, Belle!" Artie said, and I mentally groaned. Great. So, it looked like he was in my homeroom, and he sat next to me. "What are your classes?" He leaned toward my desk, trying to get a better look at my schedule.
However, another nickname for me was butterfingers. I picked up the schedule, and just as I was about to hand it to him, it slipped out of my hands and blew under my desk, and under the one to my left.
"I think you dropped something." A harsh voice said, and I looked up. Samuel. He was handing me my schedule.
"Uh, y-yeah. Thanks." I said, staring at him. He looked at me, and leaned back in his chair.
"What?" He asked.
"W-what?" I said, realizing I tuned out there for a moment. I turned to Artie. "Here's my schedule."
"How do you know him." He whispered back, and I frowned.
"Know who?" I whispered back.
"Him. Sam." He murmured, pointing a finger.
"He's my neighbor." I shrugged, and fiddled with my bag again.
"Just your neighbor..?"
"Yes! What's so wrong about it? What else would he be?!" I shouted, and Artie shrugged.
"Nothing. You'll see.. sooner or later." He muttered, and I rolled my eyes.
"You're weird, you know that, right?" I said, and Artie laughed.
"Oh, hey Artie!" A familiar voice shouted, as they walked into the classroom. I jolted my head up, and my eyes went wide.
"Ricardo! Hey, how you doin' buddy?"
Oh no.

No comments:

Post a Comment